It’s been a crazy past few weeks. My meals have been haphazard, and my schedule has been busy, not allowing as much time for cooking. That is how this recipe came about. I had seen a recipe for a “taco bake” online, and had been desiring to try it for some time. But I always steered away from the recipe, because after it was assembled it had to bake for 45 minutes in the oven. With preparation time, this would be an approximate hour of work before the meal was ready. An hour!? When my stomach is growling, I don’t feel like waiting around for an hour for my food to be ready :).
Well, this past weekend as I was trying to decide what to whip together, I decided to do my own version of a taco bake. The meal was done and ready in about 20 minutes, and it was delicious!
- 1 lb lean hamburger, or soy veggie crumbles
- 1 family size bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1, 8 oz container bella mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pimento cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Over medium-high heat, brown hamburger in a medium size skillet.
- While that is browning, heat the frozen mixed vegetables in the microwave, according to package directions.
- Once the meat has browned, drain the juices from the meat, and set aside in a casserole dish.
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray, and heat the onion and mushrooms over medium heat. Keep the lid on the pan, and stir frequently. Cook 5-7 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Once the mixed vegetables are cooked and the mushrooms and onion are done cooking, add to the casserole dish. Add pimento cheese, salsa, and spices. Mix well.
- Place casserole dish in microwave and heat for 3 minutes just to reheat everything, and make sure everything is hot.