I used to have, okay I still do, have a million recipe books. The unfortunate thing is, I forget what recipes are even in those books. I have resorted to the internet and pinterest for ideas and for recipes. It is quick, and it provides a huge variety of resources. Anyways, yesterday I was looking for different recipes to utilize beef. I came across something that looked interesting, and that I, surprisingly had ALMOST all the ingredients for – Cuban shredded beef. So I gave it a whirl. The recipe, however looked much different than the picture, and while I thought I had all of the major ingredients, I think the ingredients I was missing were enough to make it not really be deemed as Cuban beef. Regardless, the food was delicious, and I made my own recipe that I am now excited to share with all of you. Let’s call it Spiced Beef and Tomato Sauce.
This recipe again used my garden fresh tomato sauce recipe. I have SO MUCH of this stuff! But it has really come in handy!
- 1 lb hamburger
- 2 T garlic
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 T oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp McCormick Southwest Seasoning
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T distilled white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp cilantro
- 2 packages 90 second Uncle Ben’s Ready rice and beans (this yields approximately 2 servings of 1 cup each)
- Cook hamburger in medium sized skillet with lid on, over medium-high heat until browned. Drain juices and put hamburger in a separate bowl.
- Using the same pan, put diced pepper, sliced onion and garlic in pan, with the lid on. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add cooked beef back to pan with the vegetables. Add the can of tomato sauce, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, Southwest seasoning, cumin and distilled white vinegar. Cook with lid off for 5 minutes to warm sauce and mix flavors.
- While the meal is finishing cooking, pop the Ready rice into the microwave and follow package instructions. Don’t forget to vent the package! I forgot to do this once, and it exploded in my microwave… not fun to clean up!
- Serve with 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of the Spicy beef mixture. Enjoy!