I LOVE to cook, but unfortunately working a day job puts a damper on cooking. I race out of the door in the morning to fit in a workout, fly to work after my workout, buzz through the day, then come home at the end of the day feeling exhausted. And honestly at that point, my joy of cooking is not exactly existent. I don’t feel like spending an hour or two in the kitchen measuring out a teaspoon of ingredient A or a tablespoon of ingredient B, allowing the recipe to simmer for 30 minutes, etc.
Well I have resorted to finding recipes that are just as tasty as those recipes that require gobs of time, but are fast and something that my tired body can become motivated to make at the end of the day. Last night, I certainly perfected the ease of a recipe as well as timeliness. Before making this blog longer than it takes you to actually make the recipe, here it is!
Cheesy Hamburger Veggie Skillet
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- dash of pepper
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, not drained
- 1 package Velveeta macaroni and cheese
- 1 bag frozen, steamable broccoli
- BBQ sauce, optional
- In a medium sized skillet, brown hamburger with lid on pan over medium-high heat. Once there is no longer any pink in the meat, remove from stove and drain the liquid.
- While the hamburger is browning, place frozen steamable broccoli bag in microwave and follow instructions for cooking times.
- Also, while hamburger is browning, cook macaroni according to package directions. Reserve cheese sauce to add to the hamburger dish.
- After hamburger has been browned, add mushrooms, tomatoes, steamed broccoli, cooked macaroni and cheese package, and spices. Cook on low heat until mushrooms have become tender. This step further allows for flavors to develop and mix together.
- Enjoy! This dish should only take roughly 15 minutes to whip together.