Diversion again. From cookies that is. Although these are small enough, that they fit right into the picture of cookies. I don’t think Santa would be disappointed if he got one of these in addition to his cookies. So what exactly am I talking about? Mini pumpkin cranberry whoopie pies. No pumpkin season is not dead. The spices encompassed with pumpkin, the tartness of the cranberries, and the sweetness of the dough scream a Holiday to me. And what better Holiday than Christmas?
Whoopie pies are almost a mix between a cake and a cookie. They have the cake like batter, but are made into a sandwich, almost like a cookie sandwich. Whoopie pies are a tradition of the Pennsylvania Dutch community, and Lancaster Amish folks. It is believed that whoopie pies were originally made from the Amish as a means to utilize leftover batter. Kids would be delighted for their treats and were thought to have yelled “whoopie!” when they got a treat, hence the name “Whoopie Pies”. Because whoopie pies are generally thinner “pieces” of cake, the cake to icing ratio is favored more so on the icing side. This speaks all sorts of goodness to me, because well my sweet tooth loves icing.
Mini Pumpkin Cranberry Whoopie Pies
For the cake:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 6 Tbsp cranberry sauce
For the Filling:
- 1 jar Marshmallow Fluff
- approximately 6 Tbsp of cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Blend butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in pumpkin and egg and blend until mixed well.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients with milk.
- Scoop 1 Tbsp batter onto baking sheet. Use 1/2 tsp and using a knife, “cut” the sauce into the batter to make a pattern. If this method is too confusing, just add the cranberry sauce into the batter.
- Bake the pies for 11-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or when you touch the cake, it springs back.
- To assemble the cake: ensure that the pies are cool. Then spread 1 tsp cranberry sauce onto the bottoms of each pie. Using two pies, spread Marshmallow Fluff onto only one of the pies, on top of the cranberry sauce. Use the other half as the top and press on top of the Marshmallow Fluff to make a sandwich.